Friday, January 8, 2010

My bath tub clogs up with water when I am washing dishes. When I am brushing my teeth in the bathroom sink.?

I know that I have to hire a plummer, but before I do that I would like to know if there is something that I can do?My bath tub clogs up with water when I am washing dishes. When I am brushing my teeth in the bathroom sink.?
Two things you might try first. You have vents on the kitchen and bathroom drain lines, they protrude theough the roof. If you can find them, remove the cleanout caps from the sewer lines at ground level. Take a water hose and put it in the vent lines on the roof. Next put the water hose in the main clean out, working it in the line back and forth, keep pushing more hose into the line. Sometimes this will open the lines.My bath tub clogs up with water when I am washing dishes. When I am brushing my teeth in the bathroom sink.?
Get some liquid drain unblocker and use that first. Normally these are bleach based and are quite caustic and they eat through all the gunge that is trapped in the U bend of the outlet.





Take care when using this stuff as it is caustic so wear rubber glove to protect your hands. The stuff needs a while to work so best to do it overnight and then was away in the morning.





Good luck.
if all your drains are backing up then it is the main sewer pipe that is blocked. at this point there is nothing you can do but call a plumber and have him ream out the main line. just make sure he goes all the way to the main sewer line in the street.
Try a plunger first, see link in the source.
it dosnt sound like anything you can do...the same thing is happening with my place, when they built your house and did the piping they cheated and took shortcuts, and piped together all your sinks and tubs into one pipe, so basically all the pipes meet and go into one. now the problem is, you probably have a small clog somewhere in the pipe a little after they all meet and the water is backing up, and since your tub is the lowest to the ground, it gets the backed up water first.





you can live with the pipes all connected like that, but it makes clogs (as you can tell) a major pain in the butt. get the clog fixed and eventually save the money to get the house re-piped (we are right now) all the pipes are supposed to be seperate and join to the septic tank, or sewer depending how your connected.





if you want to try somthing before a plumer, get that high powered areasol *drain-o* stuff that creats a foam, and use it in the tub (closer to the problem and it may reach the clog) if that dosnt work, you'll have to call a plumber, but hopefully it works... hope this all helps
This may be the most cost effective answer. Not the brightest, just the most cost effective.





Try washing your dishes in the bathroom and brushing your teeth in the other sink.





God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment