Monday, December 21, 2009

What is the proper procedure for hand-washing dishes?

I don't have a dishwasher and I only have a single sink. What I have always done is apply dish detergent to a sponge, pre-rinse and scrub the dishes and rinse them off under running water. I have the hot water running the whole time.What is the proper procedure for hand-washing dishes?
I do that process when I only have a few dishes .. when I have lots of dishes after guests I fill the sink .. wash the dishes and run the water to rinse them ... I then towel dry them ... There is a new product out called dish foam which is trying to incorporate this as a new way to do dishes.What is the proper procedure for hand-washing dishes?
That's how I wash dishes, but I only turn the water on when I need it. You may want to buy a small tub that fits into your sink. You can fill it up with soap and water and wash your dishes that way to save water. Since the tub doesn't take up the whole sink, there's still room to rinse!
When we didn't have a dishwasher and a single sink... We would get a pretty big size bowl... Put dish soap in it and mix it w/ warm water.. Set all dirty dishes on a counter, dip sponge in bowl of soap, and set in sink until all dishes have been washed and then rinse them all at one time... Saves a little bit of water!
Use a bucket or buy a wash bin or tray. Then use that as your second sink.
I hated having a single sink. What I did was purchase a dish basin and used that as a second sink. I'd organize the dishes in a pile at the far left hand side of the sink. Then, I'd put the bain at the left hand side of the sink. Then you'd have the sink. Then the drying tray. Basin for washing. Running hot water into the sink for rinsing. Place into drying tray.





I always wash %26amp; rinse with all hot water (no cold at all). I use dish gloves to protect my hands but it means that your dishes come out grease free and shining!
Does your sink have a sprayer? If not you should get one, or get a new double sink. But what you do is, squeeze some dish washing soap from the bottle into sink, once the plug is in to keep the water from draining. Then fill it with hot (but not overly hot to the touch) water. Put on the rubber gloves, pick up sponge and scrub. Then with the sprayer, if you have one, rinse each dish, pot, pan, whatever. Put into a drying rack and when the rack is filled, using dry hands, and dish towel, dry each item and put it away. You see, the trouble with rinsing with the faucet, is you add water to the water. And the faucet puts out more water, than the sprayer.
Wash with hot water and soap. Rinse, and put in drainer. The hot water and soap will do the dirty work (bacteria).
lord have mercy, if you dont know how to wash your dishes with your hands you need mental help
When I was young, we lived in a house with only a single sink, my mom bought a nice sized wash basin, filled it up with soapy water and used that to wash the dishes. She'd fill up the sink with clean hot water to rinse, then placed the clean dishes in the draining rack. Always pre-rinse all dishes before washing, you'll keep the washing water cleaner longer, and clean out the sink (Comet or Ajax works great and is cheap) before doing dishes too, you won't get clean dishes out of a dirty sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment