Monday, December 21, 2009

Why is it best to use warm water when you're washing dishes?

My mom taught me that it's best to use warm water when you're washing dishes. Why is that so?Why is it best to use warm water when you're washing dishes?
It softens any stuck on food and helps to remove the food particles. It is also the best to soak dishes in - again, the temperature softens any stuck on food for easy removal. It is also good for disinfecting purposes. I don't feel like dishes are as clean when washed through cold watrer. Hence, dishwashers use hot water and some of the new ones have a disinfecting cycle where the water is really, really hot. I toss my kitchen sponge in there and my cat's dishes to make sure they are sterile, everytime I run the dishwasher.Why is it best to use warm water when you're washing dishes?
Hi mookey! I just saw this. As I was taught, by grdmom,make the water as HOT as U can take; Now, make it HOTTER!!


It disinfects! It makes U Not want to play or dilly-dally %26amp; ur chore. Report Abuse

I shoulda said Hot water disinfects; HOTTER water makes U Not wanna play or dilly-dally @ ur chore.


To this day I can 'knock-out' a pile of dishes fater than most ppl. Example: @ Thankgiving 1 yr, 3 women were clearing dishes, %26amp; I kept up w/ them. Report Abuse

The older women were amazed, and asked about what %26amp; how I was doing this. Keeping up w/ 3 ppl, clearing dishes. 1 of my dghtr's asked how I did it.It Not the Hot water, it's the HOTTER water. Report Abuse

Just helps to break down and soften grease on dishes and lets the washing up liquid 'get into' and stubborn bits
The warm water is mostly to help break up the grease and soften stuck-on food. It does not kill bacteria, as they tend to flourish in a warm environment. The washing and drying processes themselves tend to remove a lot of bacteria, the harmful ones anyway.
Warm and hot water kills a lot more germs than cold water. Also makes those stuck-on food bits easier to get off.
I agree with Brian. Warm water activates the bacteria. Its the soap that washes it off. I use Anti Bacterial and grease cutting soaps. Warm water does make the dishes cleaner. Organic detergents are good too. Also good for the environment.
Because it feels better. You're more likely to wash your dishes and do a good job if the water is nice and warm, than if its ice-cold. Don't you agree?
Warm water will break up the grease and stuff better than cold water will. Despite what some other people are saying it won't do much for killing germs. You would have to have the water so hot you wouldn't be able to get your hands in there to wash the dishes.
Detergent will lather better in warm water...And warm is more comfortable than hot or cold...But as for germs hot water is better.
About.com had a very informative answer to this question:





http://housekeeping.about.com/od/dishes/鈥?/a>





--Bill Pardue, MSLIS


Reference Librarian


Arlington Heights Memorial Library


http://www.ahml.info


ASK US, WE ANSWER!


Find your local library at:


http://lists.webjunction.org/libweb/Publ鈥?/a>
because it will kill the bacteria on your dishes

No comments:

Post a Comment