Monday, December 21, 2009

Which uses more water:a dishwasher or washing dishes by hand?

i've been wanting to know this for a while, does anyone have the answer?Which uses more water:a dishwasher or washing dishes by hand?
I would say a dishwasher, unless you are leaving the water run the whole time for rinsing. then it might be close. Im not sure how much a dishwasher actually uses.





I looked online and the website i found said it takes about 5-9 gallons in a dishwasher.Which uses more water:a dishwasher or washing dishes by hand?
If your dishwasher is less than 5 years old, it will only use about 4 gallons of water for even the heaviest cleaning cycles. Most dish pans hold between 2-5 gallons of water.


Just make sure that you are running full loads and not using the drying cycle. Just open the door and let them air dry.


I also find that when I am washing by hand I am washing the dishes more often than I do when I use a dishwasher. I didn't like seeing dirty dishes in the sink so I was using even more water and energy to keep the kitchen looking clean than when I just keep the dishwasher door closed and running a full load every day or so. With the newer dishwashers you just scrape off the big chunks of food and pre-rinsing isn't even needed. I use white vinegar in my rinse cup and the dishes don't spot and my crystal shines beautifully.
I don't know for sure, but I would say the dishwasher uses more water since it completes a number of cycles and sprays the entire dishwashing space to clean all the dishes. Washing by hand would use less water, especially if you only run the water when rinsing off the dishes and to re-hydrate a sponge or washcloth. A lot of the water used in a dishwasher is wasted since it just sprays a few times and is drained out, unlike hand-washing that uses only enough to rinse and soap a handful of dishes.
many people have a wrong vision of this theme.Modern dishwashers use way less water than one washing dishes by hand.The difference is quite big.When you wash your dishes with hand you use more than 3 times more water than a dishwasher.I have a dishwasher at home and believe it is way economical and better for the environment.


I have dishwasher from electrolux at home and it's great.
I always used to think that a dishwasher was a big water waster until we started looking more into water and energy conservation. What I found out was that dishwashers actually use less water than hand washing because for the scrubbing and rinsing cycles they reuse the same small amount of water they pump into the bottom for each cycle. To rinse the dishes by hand takes a lot more water and most people tend to leave the water running. I now use my once lonely dishwasher all the time and our water bill did go down a bit. Plus, no more dish pan hands. Just make sure you are washing a full load.
Both can use a large amount, but if you fill up a dish bucket with soapy water and do them that way. Hand washing uses less. Also most people pre- rinse their dishes before they put them in the dishwasher and then use all the water it takes to run the dishwasher so they use trice as much as hand washing.
Probably the dishwasher.

No comments:

Post a Comment