Monday, December 21, 2009

Why do my nails get oddly discolored after a shower or washing dishes?

I'm 39 weeks and 2 days pregnant and I've noticed for the past month or so that my nails get weirdly discolored after long exposure to water. No amount of cleaning makes them look normal. The ends constantly look yellowish, but they aren't dirty. They look white on days that I don't shower. What is up with that?Why do my nails get oddly discolored after a shower or washing dishes?
It isn't anything to worry about. The discoloration you see now probably *started* during your first trimester when your body begins all its hormonal changes. Your nails may have had growth spurts or lulls, also thinning or thickening in places as they grew out while your pregnancy continued. Nails are made of keratin, the same stuff your hair is made from, and incidentally also most animal claws and bird feathers. Having them submerged for a time simply softens the keratin proteins, discoloring your nails in areas where the growth may have changed during your pregnancy. Like the rest of your body, things will go back to normal after your delivery.Why do my nails get oddly discolored after a shower or washing dishes?
Yup, what he said, so take your prenatal vitamins! Congrats!

No comments:

Post a Comment