Sunday, December 27, 2009

Which is more beneficial, washing dishes by hand or dishwasher?

My roommate and I disagree about whether to hand wash our dishes or put them in the dishwasher. I feel it's the dishwasher because the heat of it will kill germs. He says hand washing because you actually scrub every inch of the surface. Is there an answer or is it always a matter of personal opinion?Which is more beneficial, washing dishes by hand or dishwasher?
It is actually ';greener'; to wash the dishes in the dishwasher,


if you have a full load, and don't waste water by pre-rinsing.Which is more beneficial, washing dishes by hand or dishwasher?
I simply LOVE my dishwasher, if I washed dishes by hand that's all I'd be doing all-day! I only run my dishwasher when it's completely full and at night on time delay that way it's running at 4-5am when no one is using electric or hot water. It saves on the electric bill. It also uses LESS soap/water than handwashing and gets the water ABOVE 120 degrees so it sanitizes as it cleans which when handwashing the water isn't nearly as HOT! I don't have much of a problem with stuck-on food since I scrap my plates and sometimes will rinse the dish briefly. I use ELECTRSOL TABS that I get on sale so for 90 tabs about 3 months of detergent I usually get for under $10! Also, I don't overload the dishwasher and I got a few bottles of CASCADE rinse/cleaning agent which worked quite well. I wouldn't go without a dishwasher again!





It also depends on how many dishes you/roommate go through in a given day. If it's only acouple then it's probably a good idea to wash them when you are done using them. I have a family of 4 and cook 3-4 nights a week. So, we always have dishes. Another tip is to have a 1 cup rule: Which states that when you get a cup out of the cabinet you only use that cup the whole day... It saves on multiple dirty cups in the wash! Sounds silly but, you'd be surprised at how many cups 1 person uses in a day!





Good luck
If you only have a few dishes, then washing it by hand is the better option. If you have lots or have enough plates and cutlery where you can wait for a full load for a dishwasher, then dishwasher. Dishwashers may not scrub the dishes, but the detergent you use combined with hot water will get them clean. Plus, using a dish washer for large loads is more water efficient.
A dishwasher gets hot enough to sanitize the dishes. Even if they (occasionally) come out with some crud on them, the crud will be sanitized.





Appetizing, huh?





I mostly rely on the dishwasher, but I've found that some stuff just will NOT come off ... anything with dried-on eggs or cheese, or oatmeal ... or something that's been burned in a pan ... so I end up handwashing those.





There's no right or wrong answer. Handwashing in HOT water with a good dish detergent and a complete rinsing is effective. A dishwasher is actually more eco-friendly provided it is FULL to capacity. It's mostly a matter of choice.
I prefer the dishwasher plus I usually scrape my plates etc fairly clean so I don't have a problem with them not getting clean. Now since my dishwasher isn't working, I definitely appreciate it more %26amp; the water is hotter in it than what I can take rinsing them myself.
My time is important and valuable. I don't have the time to lovingly wash, scrub and dry every inch of every dish by hand, that's an hour and a bit out of my day that could have been better spent doing something less mind numbing. Dishwasher all the way.
washing dishes with your hands with out gloves gets your skin bad in time, with gloves are ok, dishwasher never washes perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment